Economic evaluation of hatchery solid litter processing as poultry feedstuff supplement in Iran

Document Type : Original Research Article (Regular Paper)


1 Research Center of Agriculture and Natural Resources of Tehran Province, Tehran, Iran.

2 Morghdaran Tehran Company (MTC), Tehran, Iran.


The purpose of this study was to evaluate the profitability of hatchery litter recycling into poultry feedstuff supplement. The data were collected in 2011 in 4 provinces, by direct interviewing of all hatcheries which used the hatchery litter drying machine. Net Present Value (NPV), Benefit-Cost Ratio (BCR), and Internal Rate of Return (IRR) methods were applied for this analysis. In the studied hatcheries, various methods were identified for hatchery litter handling, including municipal litter removal, drying, landfill disposal, and waste disposal well. The results indicated that only 39.1% of the hatcheries were recycling their litters; with 75% processing outside the hatchery. The average IRR of hatcheries’ litter recycling was equal to 8.2%. According to the results, 22.4% of the litter processing was fixed costs, and the remaining 77.6% consisted of variable costs. It is concluded that litter recycling activity using a litter drying machine it is not economical in the studied areas based on BCR, IRR and NPV evaluation measures.


Main Subjects